Other than a few lucky people who consider the act of sanding a sort of Zen meditation, most of us just want to get it done with. Add the fact that your guitar is going to be seen and judged before it is going to be heard, and we need to find the method for […]
The Practical (Illustrated) Guide to Slotting a Multi-Scale Guitar
The fanned fretted fingerboard can be fretted following a few basic principles:
* Selecting two scale lengths, one for the lowest string (E for a standard tuning six string) and one for the High E string.
* Deciding at which fret will be the neutral or straight one
* Accurately marking the fret position on the respective top and bottom string line and not on the edges or centerline as standard fretboards.
* Marking and cutting the slots with a fret slotting saw
Which Glues are Right for Electric Guitar Building and Repair
What glue do luthiers use?
• There are four types of glues commonly used by Luthiers:
• Hide Glue- Animal Based Glue
• Carpenters Glue – PVA Glue
• CA glue – Cyano-Acrilate (Superglue)
• Epoxy glue – Two part
Let’s take a look at each of these types to better understand which ones are designed for which task and all the ways we may want to use them. We’ll go through the pros and cons as well as examples and tips for specific glues
Round-Over Bits for Guitar Building? More Than you Think
How and where to use Round -Over Router Bits ?
Round-Over Router Bits come in various radii and sizes. Their most obvious use is rounding edges, and even there is variety. They can be used on the body, for different types of guitars and even on the neck, if you are trying to cut corners.
Your Guide to Build and Shape a Stratocaster Body
So how do you shape a Stratocaster style body?
1. Choose your timber and Prepare it for gluing
2. Glue the wood to achieve a large enough piece
3. Cut the rough shape
4. Smooth the shape outline
5. Rout the Pick-ups , Bridge, Tremolo (in the back) and Control Cavities
6. Round the edge
7. Sculpt the body contours for arm and body
8. Rout the Neck Pocket
Flush Trim Router Bit for Guitar – An In-depth Look
There are three main types of flush trim router bits, which are used in slightly different ways and can be right for different occasions. They all consist of a shaft, a straight blade and ball bearings. They will always have the same diameter for the bearing and the blade. They differ in the diameter of the shaft, the length of the blade, and the position and number of the bearing/s.